Work With Us
The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is an African-led, non-profit research and policy institute established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. We contribute to the realisation of the SDGs by enabling the formulation of sound development policies and programme interventions. We work to promote and entrench a culture of evidence use in development efforts in Africa. Specifically, we:
- Strengthen institutional and individual capacity for demand and use of evidence, as well as promoting interactions between researchers and policymakers.
- Provide practical evidence to enable governments move from rhetoric and policy documents to action in addressing various sustainable development goals.
Our focus areas: Population Dynamics and Demographic Dividend, Health and Well-being, Transformative Education and Skills Development, the Environment and Climate Change, and Governance and Accountability.
AFIDEP seeks to recruit dynamic and competent professionals to develop and grow our work through the following positions. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) and its partners: PATH Foundation Philippines, Inc (PFPI), Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD), Pan African Climate Justice Alliance (PACJA) and FHI360 are implementing a project titled Building Capacity for Integrated FP/RH and PED Action (BUILD) funded by USAID Washington. The project seeks to address the interlinked Population, Environment and Development (PED) challenge for sustainable development in low and middle-income countries to enable integrated FP/RH and PED action using the Systems Thinking approach.
USAID Africa Bureau has committed to contribute USD175,000 to BUILD which is earmarked for undertaking landscape analysis (LSA) in the Sub-Saharan Africa region. The purpose of the LSA is to enhance understanding of enabling policies, promising and proven programs, and key regional actors (institutional and individual) in the Population, Health, Environment, and Development (PHED) ecosystems in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). It will also identify potential intervention areas including key policy, programming, and networking opportunities that can benefit from enhanced knowledge sharing, capacity strengthening, and creation and/or reinforcement of PHED Communities of Practice (COPs). Political economy analysis methods will be used to map key stakeholders, including their interests and concerns, to identify major bottlenecks and challenges, and to identify best PHED policy and program practices and opportunities in the region
AFIDEP intends to hire a consultant for a period not exceeding 6 months to support the implementation of the Landscape Analysis activities in SSA together with the BUILD team.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities of the Consultant will be to:
- Search, collate, review and analyze data from grey and published literature, and PED/PHE project reports from the sampled countries and regions then write a report
- Collate relevant policies, strategies, guidelines and legislation and undertake a thematic review of the documents. Develop a policy analytical framework and tools including specific questions
- Develop and pre-test the KII tools, sample respondents and conduct Key Informant Interviews
- Map existing PHED Communities of Practice (CoPs) and develop stakeholder analysis tools
- Conduct interviews with select representatives of the CoPs including site visits
- Convene a virtual stakeholders validation workshop
- Hold regional capacity-building policy dialogues for CoPs in EAC and ECOWAS regions
- Draft the Landscape Analysis report
- Experience conducting Policy Reviews and Political Economy Analyses;
- Minimum 7 years of experience identifying and reviewing policies and analysing political and economic factors limiting sectoral development in SSA;
- Experience performing governance-related work;
- Master’s Degree in Development Studies, Political Science, Political Economy or similar;
- Fluency in English
- Working knowledge of French;
- PhD in Development Studies, Political Science, Political Economy or similar;
- Experience working with Regional Governmental bodies, Governments, NGOs and Private Sector;