Download Webinar Presentation slides
Watch Webinar Recording
Under the leadership of South Africa’s Department of Social Development and Statistics South Africa, we are pleased to host a webinar series in October and November, 2020, titled Demography and COVID-19 in Africa – Evidence and Policy Responses to Safeguard the Demographic Dividend. UNFPA, the British High Commission to South Africa and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), the African Union (AU) and Africa CDC, the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP), UAPS and PASA, are the other partners supporting this initiative.
Building on South Africa’s data analysis and understanding of the epidemic and lessons from the rest of Africa and other world regions, the webinar series seeks to create a space for sharing a demographic perspective on the impacts of COVID-19 with partners on the continent, considering its implications for Africa to reach a demographic dividend and achieve the SDGs.
Webinar Leads: Khethani Hlongwa, DSD and Tlangelani Shilubane, UNFPA
Moderator: Linton Mchunu, Actg. Director General for Social Development
- Reflections on webinar 1 – Nompumelelo Nzimande, University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Evidence on the impact of COVID-19 on service delivery from Health and Demographic Surveillance Sites (HDSS) – Kobus Herbst, Africa Health Research Institute
- Challenges and service delivery adaptations during COVID-19 in Uganda – Annette Nagudi, WISH2ACTION Program, Reproductive Health Uganda
- Medium and long-term impacts of a moderate lockdown (social restrictions) in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in Malawi: A rapid cost-benefit analysis – Joseph Nagoli, Malawi National Planning Commission
- Assessment of Governance and Social Systems Responses to Covid-19 in South Africa – Bongani President Matomela, UNDP
Discussant: Donatien Beguy – President, UAPS