Download Webinar Presentation slides
Watch Webinar Recording
Under the leadership of South Africa’s Department of Social Development and Statistics South Africa, we are pleased to host a webinar series in October and November, 2020, titled Demography and COVID-19 in Africa – Evidence and Policy Responses to Safeguard the Demographic Dividend. UNFPA, the British High Commission to South Africa and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), the African Union (AU) and Africa CDC, the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP), UAPS and PASA, are the other partners supporting this initiative.
Building on South Africa’s data analysis and understanding of the epidemic and lessons from the rest of Africa and other world regions, the webinar series seeks to create a space for sharing a demographic perspective on the impacts of COVID-19 with partners on the continent, considering its implications for Africa to reach a demographic dividend and achieve the SDGs.
Webinar Leads: Whynie Adams, Department of Social Development (DSD), South Africa and Angela Baschieri, UNFPA East and Southern Africa Regional Office (ESARO)
Moderator: Adnene Ben Haj Aissa, Executive Director, Partners in Population and Development (PPD)
- Reflections on webinar 3 – AFIDEP
- One year on – reflections on ICPD+25 and COVID-19 – Beatrice Mutali, UNFPA
- The impact of COVID-19 on the Demographic Dividend pillars in Africa – Bernard Onyango, African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP)
- Reflections on the COVID-19 and the youth in Africa and lessons for the demographic dividend youth initiatives – Nicholas Ouma, African Union Commission (AUC)
- What lessons can we learn from Africa’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic – Jean François Kobiané, Institut Supérieur des Sciences de la Population (ISSP)/Université Joseph Ki-Zerbo
Discussant: Ms Duduzile Simelane – Director, Social and Human Development, Southern African Development Community (SADC)