AFIDEP is a non-profit policy think-tank whose purpose is to facilitate the synthesis, translation, and utilisation of research and other evidence in policy-making, programme design, and resource allocation in Africa. AFIDEP, which has its Head office in Nairobi and a branch office in Lilongwe, is seeking highly qualified and self-motivated individuals to fill the positions of Communications Interns.
Communications Interns (2 Positions)
AFIDEP is seeking qualified candidates to fill the positions of Communications Interns. The Communications Interns will support our communications team in the implementation of the Institute’s policy engagement and communications strategy with the focus to raise AFIDEP’s profile and enhance the role of research evidence in development processes in Africa.
- Writing and editing: Participate in the writing, editing, and production process of publishing institutional publications and communications products such as the E-news, blogs, news articles
- Publications design: Layout and Design of in-house communication products and institutional publications
- Media engagement and monitoring: Participate in media engagement activities that promote coverage and assist to keep track of media coverage of AFIDEP’s work
- Website management
- Events/meetings: Provide communications support to AFIDEP events including contributing to the preparation of communications materials
- Database management: mailing lists, key contacts, and partners; categorising for each programme
- Photography and Videos: Taking and editing photos/videos; Organising and storing pictures and images for easy retrieval
- Social media: Drafting of content and management of AFIDEP’s social media accounts
- Responding to queries about AFIDEP and its work
- Support other communications tasks as requested by the communications and policy engagement manager or other senior AFIDEP staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- At least a degree in Communications, Media or International Relations
- At least 2 years experience in communications, or experience in the media.
- Good communicator, passionate about writing and editing especially of research and policy-oriented publications, as well as media products
- Excellent presentation and public-speaking skills
- Technologically savvy, with good knowledge of HTML and experience with social media tools, specifically: Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, WordPress, Google Docs, Dropbox, etc.
- Basic Adobe suite skills (preferred). Strong knowledge of CMS systems (WordPress)
- Understanding of printing and video/film production processes
- Ability to negotiate and form credible relationships within the organisation as well as with senior decision-makers in external institutions
- Have the ability to meet deadlines, be a team player with good interpersonal skills.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating suitability and motivation statement on the role of no more 500 words and curriculum vitae by 8th February 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Communications Interns in the email subject line. Only shortlisted candidates meeting the above requirements will be shortlisted. AFIDEP is an equal opportunity employer. We invite you to learn more about AFIDEP on our website.