RESEARCH FELLOWS OR KNOWLEDGE TRANSLATION SCIENTISTS SPECIALISED IN
- Education and Skills Development
- Health Systems Strengthening – Health Economics /Public Health
- Population Change and Sustainable Development
- Knowledge Translation and Policy Analysis
The roles entail providing leadership in design and implementation of programmes in knowledge translation, capacity building in evidenced-informed decision-making and policy engagement at regional, national, and sub-national levels across Africa. The candidates should have a PhD in either of the following: Population Studies (Demography), Education, Health Economics, Development Economics, Policy Analysis and Knowledge Translation. They should also have strong qualitative and quantitative research skills; a record of peer-reviewed journal publications and successful grants proposal writing; and hands-on experience in policy analysis, knowledge translation and policy engagement.
- Lead the conceptualisation, design and implementation of research, capacity building and policy engagement programmes
- Conduct systematic reviews of research and related forms of evidence
- Conduct secondary analysis of various data sets to answer defined policy questions
- Conduct policy and programme analyses
- Translate evidence into policy-oriented advocacy materials and accountability tools
- Policy engagement to promote uptake of evidence in decision-making processes at national, sub-national, regional, and international levels
- Manage projects, including internal and external reporting
- Proposal writing and fundraising
- Publishing in policy-oriented journals and other relevant forms of publications
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Candidate should have a PhD in either of the following; Population Studies (Demography), Education, Health Economics, Development Economics, Policy Analysis and Knowledge Translation
- Strong qualitative and quantitative research skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English (additional skills in French desirable).
- Strong interpersonal skills with effective team management skills
- Strong adaptability skills to changing research evidence environment
- Monitoring and evaluation of programmes
- Minimum of 2 years’ postdoctoral professional experience
- Management and coordination of research programmes and partnerships
- Scientific writing and journal publications
- Evidence translation and policy/programme analysis
- Engagement with senior policymakers
- Experience in proposal writing and fundraising
Additional information: The above positions will be offered on two-year contracts that are renewable depending on performance and availability of funding. A competitive remuneration package will be offered commensurate with qualifications, skills and experience.
To apply: Please email: 1) A cover letter; 2) CV including three relevant referees; and 3) One-page motivation statement detailing career goals and interests. The cover letter and the email should have the title of the position as the subject.
All applications should be submitted to:
Finance and Administration Manager,
African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP).
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Applications will be considered on a continuous basis until the positions are filled.