Under the leadership of South Africa’s Department of Social Development and Stats SA, we are pleased to host a webinar series in October and November, 2020, titled Demography and COVID-19 in Africa – Evidence and Policy Responses to Safeguard the Demographic Dividend. UNFPA, the British High Commission to South Africa and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), the African Union (AU) and Africa CDC, the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP), UAPS and PASA, are the other partners supporting this initiative.
Building on South Africa’s data analysis and understanding of the epidemic and lessons from the rest of Africa and other world regions, the webinar series seeks to create a space for sharing a demographic perspective on the impacts of COVID-19 with partners on the continent, considering its implications for Africa to reach a demographic dividend and achieve the SDGs.
Webinar Leads: Vusimuzi Maduna, DSD and Oliver Zambuko, DSD
Moderator: Shoki Tshabalala, Deputy Director-General, Department of Women, Youth and Persons with Disabilities
- Reflections on webinar 2 – AFIDEP
- The National Income Dynamics Study – Coronavirus Rapid Mobile Survey (NIDS-CRAM) – Nic Spaull, University of Stellenbosch
- Social Protection during COVID-19 in South Africa – Josephilda Nhlapo-Hlope, South Africa Department of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (DPME)
- Perspectives on the impact of COVID-19 on Youth – Lerato Morulane, Youth Advocate/ AfriYAN
- Regional response and emergency measures to maintain a continuity of employment – Maxwell Parakokwa, Directorate of Social and Human Development, SADC
Discussant: Shakira Choonara – AU Youth Envoy