Under the leadership of South Africa’s Department of Social Development and Stats SA, we are pleased to host a webinar series in October and November, 2020, titled Demography and COVID-19 in Africa – Evidence and Policy Responses to Safeguard the Demographic Dividend. UNFPA, the British High Commission to South Africa and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), the African Union (AU) and Africa CDC, the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP), UAPS and PASA, are the other partners supporting this initiative.
Building on South Africa’s data analysis and understanding of the epidemic and lessons from the rest of Africa and other world regions, the webinar series seeks to create a space for sharing a demographic perspective on the impacts of COVID-19 with partners on the continent, considering its implications for Africa to reach a demographic dividend and achieve the SDGs.
Webinar Leads: Diego Iturralde, Stats SA and Fiona Clark, FCDO
Moderator/ Facilitator: Risenga Maluleke, Statistician-General and Head of Statistics South Africa
- Introduction to webinar series and insights from South Africa – Risenga Maluleke, Statistician-General and Head of Statistics South Africa
- Global perspectives, COVID-19 trends and its impacts on demography and the demographic dividend – José Miguel Guzman, Demographer and 2017 IUSSP Laureate
- COVID-19 in Africa. Why has the trajectory been different and what lessons can we learn from this? – Senga Sembuche, Africa CDC
- The UK’s science-led response to COVID-19 and its role in harnessing the demographic dividend – Charlotte Watts, Chief Scientific Adviser, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office
- Mortality and excess deaths in South Africa and the Region – Tom Moultrie/Debbie Bradshaw, South African Medical Research Council (MRC)
Discussant: Nompumelelo Nzimande, University of KwaZulu-Natal
Webinar one is part of a five-part webinar series on Demography and COVID-19 in Africa – Evidence and Policy Responses to Safeguard the Demographic Dividend