Building Capacity for Integrated Family Planning/Reproductive Health and Population, Environment and Development Action (BUILD)
BUILD seeks to address interlinked Population, Environment and Development (PED) challenges for sustainable development in low and middle-income countries to enable integrated FP/RH and PED action using the Systems thinking approach. As well as, amplify the PED approach to a new degree of transformative action across disciplinary, geographical, socio-cultural and sectoral divides to achieve strong political commitment, sustained financial resources and accountability for voluntary FP/RH.
Using a hub-and-spokes model, BUILD will work in four countries in Africa and Asia: Côte d’Ivoire (West Africa), Kenya (East Africa), Malawi (Southern Africa), and the Philippines (South East Asia).
BUILD will be implemented in other USAID FP/RH priority countries and Ouagadougou Partnership countries where the USAID missions are ready to accept core funds or provide field support for proposed activities.
BUILD is a 5-year program.,
BUILD’s interventions will be in 5 workstreams:
- Workstream 1: Evidence Synthesis and Translation for PED Integration.
- Workstream 2: Policy reforms and institutionalization of PED.
- Workstream 3: Empowering multi-sectoral PED champions for Voluntary FP/RH integration in policies and programs.
- Workstream 4: Partnership building among public, private institutions and communities.
- Workstream 5: Promoting south-south and regional exchange.
- Strengthened individual and institutional capacity in advocacy, policy communications and negotiations (Result 1).
- Increased commitment for cross-sectoral PED approaches which integrate population, health, environment, climate change, resilience, food security, water, livelihoods, economic growth, education, demography and governance (Result 2).
The program will use two approaches namely: Systems Think Approach and the DPSIR Model
Building Capacity for Integrated Family Planning & Reproductive Health and Population, Environment and Development Action “BUILD” by USAID brings together southern leadership and organizations from Africa, Asia, and USA that, together, have proven technical expertise in promoting cross-sectoral interventions in Population-Environment-Development (PED) and in advocating for voluntary family planning (FP) and capacity strengthening.
- African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP);
- Leadership for Environment and Development Southern and Eastern Africa (LEAD SEA);
- Path Foundation Philippines Inc (PFPI);
- Family Health International 360 (FHI360); and
- Pan-African Climate Justice Alliance (PACJA).
|Dates:||May 2021 to Present|
The BUILD program (Building Capacity for Integrated Family Planning/Reproductive Health and Population, Environment and Development Action) seeks to achieve strong political commitment, sustained financial resources and accountability for voluntary family planning and reproductive health.
BUILD is a 5-year program.
|Where:||Côte d’Ivoire , Kenya , Malawi , Philippines|
|Project Director:||Doreen A.M. Othero, Ph.D.|